May 12, 2020
As Scouters, the pandemic is keeping us away from the things we enjoy; the outdoors, our Scouting friends, camping, hiking, fishing, climbing, and exploring, to name a few. In compliance with the recent orders from the Governor of Illinois, the W. D. Boyce Council Service Center, along with our Bloomington Service Center and our camps will remain closed until Monday, June 1, 2020. Additionally, all Unit, Council, and District events are postponed or canceled through May 31, 2020. As always, your safety and the safety of all our members, volunteers, and staff is our top priority. As a Council, we want to make sure we are doing our part to keep everyone safe.
Over the past few months, the Executive Board has been monitoring the constantly evolving COVID 19 virus situation. We have been working diligently with the camping leadership including, camp staff, and professionals to explore ways that we could open camp safely. We have been reviewing CDC Guidelines, the State of Illinois Stay at Home Orders, the Restore Illinois timetable, and other regulations and requirements related to COVID-19. Based on the information that we currently have, we do not see a way to open camp while guaranteeing the safety of our Scouts, Scouters, Staff, and their families.
Therefore, we are making the difficult decision to cancel our traditional Summer Camp programs at Ingersoll Scout Reservation and Cache Lake Camp for 2020. We have also canceled all traditional Day Camp programs for the summer. Our staff is currently working on ways that will allow us to provide summer program opportunities. Such as virtual and in-person camping later in the summer, including family camping. This has been a tough decision. I know firsthand how much our Scouts, Scouters, and Staff look forward to camp and the important role it plays in their development. This has been an extremely challenging decision for us and the entire leadership team of the council.
We plan on fully reopening camp for the 2021 season. With excitement we anticipate your unit attending our crown jewel ISR in 2021. It is our hope we can open for primitive camping yet this summer. If you would be interested in such an experience please contact Barb Murphy at Barbara.firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will begin issuing refunds on June 1st, 2020. For units that will be attending our camp in 2021, we will offer the following option. If you apply the funds that you have already paid to your 2021 reservation, we will guarantee you 2020 camp prices and the week and campsite that you selected for this year. Austin St. George will reach out to all the unit contacts individually to work out details to hold spots for 2021 or for a refund. If you’d like to make a donation in lieu of a refund, please express that to Austin during his call.
I appreciate all you are doing to keep the Scouting program moving forward in these difficult times and your continued support. Please know you and your families are in our thoughts and prayers.
Lee Shaw Jr Mark Wylie Melody Wiseman Dr. Bob Bevill
Scout Executive Council President Council Commissioner VP of Activities