COVID-19

FAQ

May 12, 2020

As Scouters, the pandemic is keeping us away from the things we enjoy; the outdoors, our Scouting friends, camping, hiking, fishing, climbing, and exploring, to name a few. In compliance with the recent orders from the Governor of Illinois, the W. D. Boyce Council Service Center, along with our Bloomington Service Center and our camps will remain closed until Monday, June 1, 2020. Additionally, all Unit, Council, and District events are postponed or canceled through May 31, 2020. As always, your safety and the safety of all our members, volunteers, and staff is our top priority. As a Council, we want to make sure we are doing our part to keep everyone safe.

Over the past few months, the Executive Board has been monitoring the constantly evolving COVID 19 virus situation. We have been working diligently with the camping leadership including, camp staff, and professionals to explore ways that we could open camp safely. We have been reviewing CDC Guidelines, the State of Illinois Stay at Home Orders, the Restore Illinois timetable, and other regulations and requirements related to COVID-19. Based on the information that we currently have, we do not see a way to open camp while guaranteeing the safety of our Scouts, Scouters, Staff, and their families.

Therefore, we are making the difficult decision to cancel our traditional Summer Camp programs at Ingersoll Scout Reservation and Cache Lake Camp for 2020. We have also canceled all traditional Day Camp programs for the summer. Our staff is currently working on ways that will allow us to provide summer program opportunities. Such as virtual and in-person camping later in the summer, including family camping. This has been a tough decision. I know firsthand how much our Scouts, Scouters, and Staff look forward to camp and the important role it plays in their development. This has been an extremely challenging decision for us and the entire leadership team of the council.

We plan on fully reopening camp for the 2021 season. With excitement we anticipate your unit attending our crown jewel ISR in 2021. It is our hope we can open for primitive camping yet this summer. If you would be interested in such an experience please contact Barb Murphy at Barbara.murphy@scouting.org.

We will begin issuing refunds on June 1st, 2020. For units that will be attending our camp in 2021, we will offer the following option. If you apply the funds that you have already paid to your 2021 reservation, we will guarantee you 2020 camp prices and the week and campsite that you selected for this year.  Austin St. George will reach out to all the unit contacts individually to work out details to hold spots for 2021 or for a refund. If you’d like to make a donation in lieu of a refund, please express that to Austin during his call.

I appreciate all you are doing to keep the Scouting program moving forward in these difficult times and your continued support. Please know you and your families are in our thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,

Lee Shaw Jr             Mark Wylie              Melody Wiseman                   Dr. Bob Bevill

Scout Executive      Council President   Council Commissioner           VP of Activities

FAQ: 

Q: What if I cannot get a new Part C, pre-placement exam because my healthcare provider is not taking well care exams now?

Having Part C of the Annuanl Health Medical Record for any BSA event longer than 72 hours is a National Requirement.  You can find their statement about the issue by clicking here.

“We are evaluating all options while being mindful of those who have valid exams as well as those newmembers and adults who may have never completed a Part C exam, state and local authority requirements, and the special review required by high adventure programs.  In the interim, we recommend that council health supervisors, camp staff, and volunteers begin a conversation on local availabilitiy of well exams and alternatives that could be put in place.”

Q: Will we get a refund if Camp gets canceled?

If the W. D. Boyce Council Cancels camp due to the COVID-19 situation, we will issue a full refund within 30 days of the date of the announced cancelation.  The unit deposit can be used for a 2021 spot or asked to be refunded using the Council Refund Request Form.  If we postpone summer camp to a later date then the fees will be rolled over to the new dates and there would be time for refunds to be requested using the Council Refund Request form should not be able to attend one of the new dates of camp.

Q: The Merit Badge for Scouts is not showing up in Doubleknot to sign up for?

If the Merit Badge does not show up in Doubleknot then that means that the badge has reached its capacity due to program supply or safety limitations.  If you do not see the badge to sign up a Scout for then we suggest you look at alternative badges or programs for the Scout to sign up for.

You can check the registration numbers and how many spots are still open for each program and Merit Badge for every week by Clicking Here and click the “Details” button for your week at camp.

Q: How is COVID-19 effecting other W. D. Boycec Council Events? 

The W. D. Boyce Council has made a COVID-19 webpage which is updated with information regarding W. D. Boyce Events and resources for Scouting at Home.  Click here to take you to the W. D. Boyce COVID-19 webpage.